The Nolter Law Firm Is Currently Closed

Modifications Attorneys


If you are a resident of Denton or the surrounding North Texas area and have questions about or need to file a modification to an existing custody or support arrangement, you need to seek out an experienced team of aggressive Family Law attorneys, like The Nolter Law Firm who can represent your interests before the court.

At The Nolter Law Firm our office has many years of experience helping individuals and families in Denton, McKinney, Gainesville and Decatur, Texas with criminal defense and family law issues including custody and support modifications. To learn more or discuss your custody or support modification case with a lawyer on our team, call us today at 940-800-8025 or fill out our online form below.

Modifications in Texas

Though a divorce ruling is final, the circumstances of both individuals involve can and will change over time. For any number of reasons, a situation may arise where one or both parties may have cause to want to make a modification to the custody or support arrangement made at the time of the separation.

There are all kinds of reasons to request a modification. These include:

  • The needs of the child have changed. The child may have a legitimate need to make new arrangements for education, medical, religious, or other reasons.
  • You lost your job. You will want to file for a modification if you no longer hold the position you had when the original arrangement was made.
  • You are moving or relocating for a job. In the event you need to move for work or to be closer to family you will need to file a modification. You will also want to seek representation from a qualified family law attorney in your area in the event your ex attempts to move your child away from where you live.
  • Change in employment. You may have received a promotion that requires you to rework your schedule meaning that your current visitation or guardianship arrangement will need to be modified so that you can meet your new responsibilities.

Grounds For Modification:

  1. The circumstances of the child, a conservator, or other party affected have materially and substantially changed since the prior order;
  2. The child is over 12 and has expressed a preference as to where to live
  3. Voluntary relinquishment by the party designating the primary residence for at least 6 months.

In the event you live in Denton or the surrounding North Texas area and have been denied visitation rights, are not receiving support payments, or are facing divorce enforcement proceedings, The Nolter Law Firm has an experienced team able to represent you.

How Modifications Are Handled

Texas Family Courts take request for modifications seriously. They will always make decisions they deem are in the best interest of the child, so if circumstances change for you or your ex where a modification would result in e better situation for the child, the court is likely to take the request seriously.

In support cases, the process boils down to a petitioner requesting the court to raise or lower the amount awarded in the original arrangement. The court will make its decision based upon its understanding of the facts, such as if there was or was not an income change.

In custody cases, things get a bit more complex because what changes is the parenting relationship including visiting times, questions of joint custody, and the child’s desires as well as the courts mandate to make decisions that are first and foremost in the best interest of the child. Either way, you’ll want an experienced, compassionate, and aggressive team of family law attorneys on your side.

When Can I Request A Modification?

Modifications are typically filed at least one year after the court order. In order to receive a modification within one year, there must be a showing that the child’s present environment may endanger the child’s physical health or emotional development; the party designating the primary residence consents; or the party designating primary residence has voluntarily relinquished control of the child.

The Nolter Law Firm understands the delicate nature of modification cases and has the legal expertise and litigation experience to see you through. Our commitment to you is to pursue the best course of action on your behalf, whether that be mediation, arbitration, or litigation. We have worked hard to earn a reputation as aggressive trial attorneys in order to better serve our clients. Rest assured, in the event your situation turns hostile, we will offer advocacy in family court on your behalf. Call 940-800-8025 now or fill out the form below to get started.

$100 Discounted Initial Consultation – Flexible appointment times and locations. Credit cards and PayPal accepted.